Joshua Regrets Allow Ruiz Jr to Take Photo With His Champion Belt in Pre-Match
British heavyweight boxing star Anthony Joshua said he regretted giving Andy Ruiz Jr a chance to hold and photograph together with his championship belt before releasing. If time could be turned back, Joshua would not let Ruiz pose with a world heavyweight belt before their fight.
Two days before the June 1 match, Joshua allowed Ruiz to hold the world title belt at the last press conference. As soon as the fight broke out, Ruiz won the WBO, WBA, IBF, IBO world titles by dropping Joshua four times before the seventh round of TKO at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
British heavyweight boxer Anthony Joshua said he regretted giving Andy Ruiz Jr a chance to hold and photograph together with his championship belt before releasing.
"Looking back, I might tell myself, as a psychological thing: 'don't give it up,'" Joshua told AJ:
"I always said before that the championship belt does not represent me. I am responsible, and a champion, before I have that belt."
"A championship belt cannot determine who I am, as a human being. A championship belt can come loose, but I still have a champion mindset. For me, boxing is more than a championship belt. Boxing is about building a champion's mindset."
There are some observers who judge Joshua looks very nervous when in the ring and issued the wrong body language. However, Joshua denied it.
"I'm very relaxed," Joshua said. "I don't see boxing as pressure. People make more of it than me, which is why I'm really calm walking in the ring."
Joshua also denied the news had fallen during sparing practice when the contest was getting closer. "Everyone wants to be famous, rather than being a good boxer," Joshua added.
"That's a silly story about taking me down. You can't even enjoy training and do things without someone making a false statement, and trying to gain fame for five minutes."
"You bring someone to a training camp to help them pay them. It's not like (rumors of a fall) have happened, you beat them in every round, then they go and do interviews. There is a lot of jealousy and not much reality. { Source }
Two days before the June 1 match, Joshua allowed Ruiz to hold the world title belt at the last press conference. As soon as the fight broke out, Ruiz won the WBO, WBA, IBF, IBO world titles by dropping Joshua four times before the seventh round of TKO at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
![]() |
| Photo from: boxingscene.com |
"Looking back, I might tell myself, as a psychological thing: 'don't give it up,'" Joshua told AJ:
"I always said before that the championship belt does not represent me. I am responsible, and a champion, before I have that belt."
"A championship belt cannot determine who I am, as a human being. A championship belt can come loose, but I still have a champion mindset. For me, boxing is more than a championship belt. Boxing is about building a champion's mindset."
There are some observers who judge Joshua looks very nervous when in the ring and issued the wrong body language. However, Joshua denied it.
"I'm very relaxed," Joshua said. "I don't see boxing as pressure. People make more of it than me, which is why I'm really calm walking in the ring."
Joshua also denied the news had fallen during sparing practice when the contest was getting closer. "Everyone wants to be famous, rather than being a good boxer," Joshua added.
"That's a silly story about taking me down. You can't even enjoy training and do things without someone making a false statement, and trying to gain fame for five minutes."
"You bring someone to a training camp to help them pay them. It's not like (rumors of a fall) have happened, you beat them in every round, then they go and do interviews. There is a lot of jealousy and not much reality. { Source }

No comments